Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Playing with Punctuation

Good Afternoon Fellow-Utterers-- today we've, got a brand-new, exercise which, requires, you to experiment with punctuation:

Write a paragraph that, when punctuation is varied in a second version of the paragraph, has a distinctly different tone/meaning than the original. The words and sentence order should be exactly the same in both paragraphs; the only difference is in the placement of punctuation. This exercise demonstrates the powerful influence of punctuation upon meaning. It also conveys the importance of proper punctuation and the dangers of careless or haphazard use of punctuation.

Example:

Dear John, I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy—will you let me be yours? ----Gloria

Dear John, I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be? Yours, Gloria

(Example from Ohio State University's English Department website.
http://english.osu.edu/programs/firstyearwriting/resources/teacher/triedandtrue/grammar/punctuation.cfm. Originally from Games Magazine, 1984.)

1 comment:

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

following punctuation rules is very important, follow http://getessayeditor.com/blog/why-you-should-consider-the-importance-of-punctuation and find out why you should consider the importance of punctuation!