Friday, May 9, 2008

Double Negatives

Good day language-lovers! Today we've got an exercise for you that we're not sure you won't love:

Create a conversation moving through a sea of double, triple, and quadruple negatives.

Person 1: Heyyy!
Person 2: Oh..hey, how are you…
Person 1: I'm doing great, I'm doing great, wow great party huh?
Person 2: Yeah…yeah….look, Its not that I didn't want you to come or anything…but I didn't really mean for you to come.
Person 1: What, you didn't not want me to come?
Person 2: No, I didn't didn't not want you to come, I didn't want you to come.
Person 1: Right so you didn't not want me to come did you. Like you didn't not not want me to come.
Person 2: No…I didn't not not want you to come. No, wait, no…wait…no! I didn't want you to not come.
Person 1: Great, yeah, I didn't not want me to not come either…and I did bring chips and salsa so it's a great thing that I didn't not come!
Person 2: I don't care about whether you did or didn't bring chips and salsa, I did not want you to come in the first place!
Person 1: I did bring salsa though, its right over there. By the chips. Which I did bring.
Person 2: I don't care! I don't care! I didn't not want you not bring chips and not bring salsa and not bring yourself, I DIDN'T!
Person 1: You don't like Chips and salsa?
Person 2: NO! I didn't want YOU to bring them!
Person 1: Would you rather I brought something else…or if I didn't bring something else?
Person 2: I wish you didn't bring you!
Person 1: I didn't not bring me!
Person 2: Yes you did!!
Person 1: No! Your mom brought me! I met her when I wasn't not buying salsa and I wasn't not getting chips to not NOT bring to your party and not not have a good time!
Person 2: GO HOME!
Person 1: Oh…I didn't know you felt that way.
Person 2:….sigh…you didn't?

No comments: